Northland Motorsports

Home | Classifieds | Place an Ad | Public Notices | Galleries | Milestones | Contact Us | Subscribe | e-newsletter | RSS |
Navajo-Hopi Observer | Flagstaff, Arizona

home : latest news : latest news July 22, 2014

12/24/2013 10:57:00 AM
Navajo Nation Head Start adds 20 service centers
Health, Education, and Human Services Committee receives report on overall progress of Navajo Nation Head Start
Navajo-Hopi Observer

The Navajo Nation Head Start program has undergone an overhaul, adding 20 new service centers.

The Health, Education and Human Services Committee (HEHSC) received a report on the progress of the Navajo Nation Head Start program Dec. 4.

"We have spent the last nine months working diligently to restructure this multi-million dollar program and improve the quality of it for our Nation's youngest children," said Navajo Nation Head Start Assistant Superintendent Sharon Singer.

According to the report, Navajo Head Start has been working to correct deficiencies that have been identified, such as lack of certified staff, restructuring of the program, curriculum improvement, building maintenance, transportation, and other related issues that once plagued the program.

HEHSC member Council Delegate Joshua Lavar Butler (Tó Nanees Dizí) expressed his support for the efforts the Head Start program is undertaking and stressed the importance of its services to the Navajo Nation.

"I believe that Head Start is finally back on track and the leadership has demonstrated their capabilities of the program," said Butler. "The people you serve are the children and you have given them a voice."

Singer stated that the overhaul of the Head Start program has allowed for the expansion of 20 additional service centers. McKinley County Schools also gave the program 90 modular buildings for additional classrooms and teacher housing.

The written report also included the current data for the program, which includes: 69 service centers currently open, 1,703 enrolled students, 439 total staff members, and 70 percent of the teachers are certified as "high-quality" in their teaching abilities, according to Head Start Performance Standards. The remaining 30 percent of the teachers have a bachelor's degree.

HEHSC member Council Delegate Walter Phelps (Cameron, Coalmine Canyon, Leupp, Tolani Lake, Tsidi To'ii) said he was elated at the continued improvements of the program, and asked Singer what protocols the program follows when there has been a declaration of emergency.

"Our program is unique because the location of our schools is very rural and a large majority of our transportation is on dirt roads. We have an internal alert system that our staff uses that provides recommendations so we can get approval to close centers, if need be," Singer said.

At the conclusion of the meeting, Butler said the Navajo Head Start program has strong support from tribal leaders.

    Recently Commented    
Down and dirty: Cameron community members clean up closed transfer station
Letters to the editor: Developers don't respect the holy and sacred
Developers say Escalade project at Colorado River confluence on track
'Art allowed me to survive'
Navajo lawmakers approve $295 mil five-year capital improvement plan

Article Comment Submission Form
Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. The email and phone info you provide will not be visible to the public. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comments are limited to 1300 characters or less. In order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit your comment entries to five(5) per day.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Last Name:
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.

Advanced Search

HSE - We want to hear from you
Find more about Weather in Flagstaff, AZ
Click for weather forecast

Submission links
 •  Submit site feedback or questions

Find It Opinions Features Extras Submit Other Publications
Home | Classifieds | Place an Ad | Public Notices | Galleries | Milestones | Contact Us | Subscribe | e-newsletter | RSS | Site Map
Terry Marxen Chevrolet-Cadillac

© Copyright 2014 Western News&Info, Inc.® The Navajo-Hopi Observer is the information source for the Navajo and Hopi Nations and Winslow area communities in Northern Arizona. Original content may not be reprinted or distributed without the written permission of Western News&Info, Inc.® Navajo-Hopi Observer Online is a service of WNI. By using the Site, ®, you agree to abide and be bound by the site's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which prohibit commercial use of any information on the site. Click here to submit your questions, comments or suggestions. Navajo-Hopi Observer Online is a proud publication of Western News&Info Inc.® All Rights Reserved.

Software © 1998-2014 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved